Tuesday, September 1, 2015

What Does Passionate Mean?

Most of us have no clue what we want to do with our lives. Even after we finish school. Even after we get a job. Even after we’re making money. Between ages 18 and 25, some people changed their careers aspirations more often than they changed their underwear.

It’s a struggle almost every adult goes through. “What do I want to do with my life?” “What am I passionate about?” “What do I not suck at?” I often meet people in their 40s and 50s who still have no clue what they want to do with themselves.

Part of the problem is the concept of “life purpose” itself. The idea that we were each born for some higher purpose and it’s now our cosmic mission to find it. This is the same kind of shitty logic used to justify things like your lucky number is 69 (but only on Tuesdays or during full moons).


Here’s the truth. We exist on this earth for some undetermined period of time. During that time we do things. Some of these things are important. Some of them are unimportant. And those important things give our lives meaning and happiness. The unimportant ones basically just kill time.

On the other side, “Passionate” is the most overused word in job interviews and marketing material. Everyone’s passionate about everything!

But let me tell you a little secret. What most people don’t understand is that passion is the result of action, not the cause of it!!!

Passion is the added value you received when you do a specific thing!

After 26 years on this planet, I can say that I found things I'm passionate about, but still, I'm discovering myself more every day..!!!

Till next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment